How to Choose the Best Windows for Your Home
Ready to start shopping for new or replacement windows but aren’t quite sure where to begin? Here are five things to think about as you shop.
Windows play an important role in the design of your home, making every day a little brighter and more comfortable. With a wide variety of window types available, how can you be sure you are choosing the right one for your home? We’ve compiled a list of factors to consider as you get started on your window replacement journey.
Five Factors to Consider When Shopping for Windows There are a number of factors at play when you’re shopping for a new or replacement window for your home. In addition to a window that enhances the beauty and energy efficiency of your home, you want a window that suits your lifestyle and your budget. As you start shopping, consider these five things to help you focus your window search and find the windows that are right for your project.
1. Lifestyle One of the most important things to consider when selecting the right window for your home is your lifestyle. Keep the people, places and things in your life in mind as you shop for windows. Think about the rooms your new or replacement windows are going into and how those spaces function. Will you need to keep blinds and shades out of reach of little hands or paws? If so, you might want to consider product lines that offer between-the-glass blinds and shades options. Do you redecorate frequently? What about regional considerations – does your area see extreme temperatures? The climate you live in can help determine what type of glass will make your windows the most energy efficient for your home.
2. Budget Until you have a particular product and installation method in mind, it’s hard to estimate the total cost of your window project. Factors like window materials, the size of windows and additional features and options all play a factor in determining the cost of a new or replacement window. When you’re ready to start planning your budget, schedule a free in-home consultation to get a better idea of what a new window will cost. And always remember to ask about special financing offers or seasonal promotions that can help you save.
3. Window Materials The type of material you want for your new or replacement windows is another important consideration during the window shopping process. Each material offers different benefits as well as features and options. Pella has several window product lines that each offer windows in one three popular materials.
Wood windows are available in Pella® Reserve™, Pella® Architect Series and Pella® Lifestyle Series. Wood creates a warm, natural look and can be stained or painted in a color that complements the style of your home.
Fiberglass windows are available in the Pella® Impervia® product line. Our proprietary fiberglass delivers unmatched strength and lasting durability.9 It’s a thermoset material, meaning it won’t melt or breakdown when exposed to environmental temperature swings.
Vinyl windows are available in the Pella® 250 Series, Encompass by Pella®, Pella Hurricane Shield Series and Pella Defender Series product lines. Vinyl is an energy-efficient material that offers affordable quality at a budget-friendly price point.
4. Window Types Choose the window type and material that best suits your style and your home. Pella offers six different window types including awning, casement, sliding, bay and bow as well as single- and double-hung windows, all of which are available in a range of standard sizes. Don’t see an option that quite meets your needs? Custom windows, including picture windows and special shape windows are also available. If you’re not sure which window type to choose, don’t worry – MPIRE Improvements can help you select the right option.
5. Window Features and Options You can customize your window with options that bring added beauty and enhanced performance. With Pella® Insynctive Technology, you can automate your between-the-glass blinds or shades or remotely check on the security of your windows from the convenience of your smartphone. Consider how different window colors and finishes will look in your home or play up a particular style with on-trend brass, nickel or matte black hardware. Select grille patterns that complement the architecture of your home and glass options that enhance overall energy efficiency. Try on the window features and options you’re interested in before purchasing with our window design tool. Learn more about ways you can personalize your window or browse through project photos for additional inspiration.
With these five factors in mind, you can narrow down what kind of windows you’re looking for and head confidently into the next phase of your window replacement journey. When you’re ready to purchase your new or replacement window or schedule installation, give MPIRE Improvements a call. We are your Central Kansas contractor for Pella windows and doors.