Fall Maintenance on Your Garage Door
If you’re like most homeowners in Central Kansas, you don’t give a lot of thought to your garage door – until it doesn’t work. Your garage door is likely opened and shut multiple times a day. This causes wear and tear on the gears and springs. Like other parts of your home, your garage door needs regular maintenance to keep it functional and safe.
What Does Garage Door Maintenance Involve?
Preventive maintenance for garage doors entails a series of troubleshooting steps and minor adjustments, including:
· Observing and listening during operation to detect signs of trouble such as rough, uneven movement, as well as sounds like scraping or grinding
· Tightening loose nuts, bolts and hardware
· Testing the balance by opening the door halfway and seeing if it begins to fall down
· Replacing the worn rubber weatherstripping at the bottom of the door opening
· Lubricating all moving parts
· Inspecting and — if necessary — replacing the rollers
· Checking the high-tension cables for loose strands or fraying
· Testing the auto-reverse function, which is the safety feature that causes the door to reverse direction automatically if it encounters an object during lowering
· Checking the tracks for signs of water damage, cracking and debris and adjusting the plumb as needed
· Inspecting the door for signs of rot or warping (wood doors) or rust (steel doors)
Benefits of Regular Maintenance on Your Garage Door:
Keeping your garage door properly maintained offers many benefits including enhanced safety, security and decreases the cost of ownership by reducing expensive repairs.
Safety: Garage doors can pose serious safety risks, if not cared for properly. During your maintenance visit, we inspect sensors and safety precautions to ensure they are working correctly. Getting your garage door maintenance and repairs done by the professionals at MPIRE Improvement prevents common injuries caused by high-tension springs on your garage door.
Lowering Long-Term Ownership Costs: Regular maintenance can limit the likelihood of a major repair that could cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It can also prolong the door’s lifespan, lengthening the time between replacements.
Preserving the Appearance: A garage door, on average, encompasses 30% of your home’s front-facing exterior. Getting your garage door maintained helps us identify any chips or cracks that we can remedy before they rust or rot.
Security: MPIRE Improvements inspects your garage door to ensure there are no easy entry points. If security is at the forefront of your mind, be sure to read our blog about Smart Garage Doors and how they can enhance your home’s security.
MPIRE Improvements serves all of Central Kansas for your Pella window and garage door needs. Give us a call today to schedule your garage door maintenance before winter. Check out their current specials at https://www.mpireimprovements.com/specials